We have many options for the skirt hem and will exploring several of them in this lesson. Option 1 is the plain untrimmed hem bottom and Option 2 is with ruffled lace or fabric ruffling bottom edge.
HEM OPTION 1 (Plain)
1. The skirt trim piece is attached to the lower skirt section with the right side of the trim piece sewn to the to wrong side of the skirt.
2. After sewing the two pieces together, press the seam up towards the skirt section.
3. Press the raw edge of the trim section 1/4" to the inside.
4. On the right side, press the trim section up. Be careful not to let any of the skirt section show at the hem edge.
Now would be the time, if you wish, to insert the scalloped edge of a narrow piece of lace or eyelet.
5. Staying as close to the top pressed edge of the trim section as possible, topstitch the trim to the skirt.
HEM OPTION 2 (Ruffled)
1. Cut a ruffle piece 2" wide by 32" long. Fold in half the long way and press the two raw edges together.
Note: Flat or pre-gathered 1" lace or eyelet may be used.
2. Gather the ruffle to fit the hem edge of the lower skirt section and sew the ruffle to the WRONG side of the skirt.
3. On the skirt trim section, press under the top edge 1/4".
4. Sew the right side of the trim to the wrong side of the skirt with the ruffle sandwiched between.
5. Fold the trim piece to the right side and topstitch in place after pressing the hem edge.
Picture below is taken of the insides of the skirts:
|CLASS 86 INDEX