Note that the Coat Front (3) is cut from the coat fabric, not the lining fabric.
1. Right sides together, sew the Coat Front lining (3) to the Coat Back lining (4) at the shoulder seams and press the seams open.
2. Staystitch and clip the neckline and armholes.
3. Using the line of staystitching as your guide, press the seam allowance of the armholes to the inside.
4. Right sides together, sew the side seams and press them open.
5. As you did with the coat in Lesson 3 Step 1, clip the corner and press the seam allowance to the inside.
6. Using a long basting stitch, sew two rows of gather stitches along the top edge of the
Lower Coat Back Lining (9).
7. Pull the gathering stitches along the top edge to fit. Pin the gathered section to the coat lining.
8. Topstitch or slipstitch the gathered piece in place.
9. Right sides together, pin the lining to the coat.
10. Sew the lining to the coat along all the edges leaving a 2" turn opening in the center back hem. Use a very small machine stitch for this step, to reinforce the corners and the turn opening.
11. Trim all the corners with a diagonal cut. Be careful not to cut too close to the corner stitch or it may pop out when it's turned.
12. Turn the coat right side out, pushing out all the corners with a corner turner. (I used the pointed ends of the long tweezers that came with my serger.) Press all the edges including the turn opening. Finish the turn opening with an invisible slip stitch.
13. On the inside, pull the sleeves out through the open armhole. Pull the sleeve lining into place, matching the sleeve cap of the lining to the armhole edge, slip stitch in place to finish the inside lining, easing at the cap as needed by picking up a little extra of the cap edge on each stitch.
14. Sew a snap at the neck and one under the front ribbon trim. Sew 4 small buttons (or beads) as shown on the pattern cover. Finish with a bow or ribbon knot at the front.
|HOME||CLASSES||CLASS 73 INDEX|
|LESSON 1||LESSON 2||LESSON 3|
|LESSON 4||LESSON 5||LESSON 6|